Register your mobile phone now; don't wait until you need the emergencySMS service.
Welcome to the emergencySMS
The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.
Simply by sending an SMS message to 999 you can call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.
You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergencySMS service, click on the Registering your phone link above for more information.
Click here to download the emergencySMS leaflet.
REMEMBER: This is an emergency service and must only be used in an emergency as below.
- Life is at risk;
- Crime/trouble is happening now;
- Someone is injured or threatened;
- Person committing crime is near;
- There is a fire or people trapped;
- You need an ambulance urgently;
- Someone is in trouble, or missing, at sea,
- Someone is in trouble on the cliffs or on the shoreline
BSL Video – Welcome to the emergencySMS service(1min 47sec)
Please note: There is no sound on this video